Mayon Volcano, Philippines

Mayon Volcano, Philippines
Mayon Volcano

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

40 days and 40 nights


Another week or so has gone by I can see how the time slips away as I’ve already been in the Philippines almost 6 weeks. I’m beginning to find a comfort level and the sharp differences I noticed early on are now more familiar and becoming even of my own routines. The pace is still a little slow for me, but I really wanted to shift down a few notches anyway given I am now ‘retired’. One thing I still don’t like though is squeezing in those trikes (motorcycles with side cars) but it is the main way to get around. I wait for jeepneys if I can, but since I’m in a small town things close up kind of early and transport options diminish. We have had a lot of rain over the past week or so – they call it a low pressure system here (the pre-cursor to a typhoon I think) but apparently compared to the weather and heat back east in the U.S. I am actually doing pretty well here. The humidity even seems a lot more bearable than it can be in Richmond in the summer.

Recently fifty High School students and their teachers from 8 surrounding communities came to the center to participate in a drug awareness event. The UN and Dangerous Drug Board proclaims 26th of June as a date recognized as the “International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking” This year’s focus was on health. The slogan was: ‘Kalusugan ay Kayamanan, Droga’ y Iwasan! So as part of this MTRC sponsored an Infomercial script writing and radio broadcasting challenge on July 18 and I got to be one of the judges. The students organized in teams and came up with some very creative messages and delivered them quite effectively – they clearly seemed to get the message about the dangers of drug use. Of course the cash prizes were a nice incentive too. We had a lot of fun with some props that allowed everyone to put on wigs and hats and take pictures. Many are posted on the Malinao Treatment and Rehabilitation Center Face Book page – check it out and like if you’re interested.

This past weekend I decided to go explore an area called Naga about 81. Km (50 miles) away. This meant finding a van in Tabaco and waiting for about an hour for enough people to come by to fill up the seats – then you leave. So much for a schedule huh? Two hours later I arrive to another bustling small town. The street life in the Philippines is amazing, filled with sounds and people and activity. It’s hard to capture or relay what this feels like. I also realized how compact things are – and this is likely because the towns are not set up for driving – everything is condensed into like a 10 or 20 block areas because people here don’t have private cars so they walk to the market and to shop. I had a chance to enjoy some good food (they have a Pizza Hut in this town) and a movie for about $3.00. Of course I am aware the chance to skip away for the weekend and stay in a hotel with hot water showers and internet ($16 a night) is a real luxury for many Philippines’ – something they wouldn’t be able to afford to do. A few of the staff at my site said they have only been to Naga once or twice ever – and it is 50 miles away.

A permanent position admin job was recently posted at my site. Most of the staff here has contract jobs – one year to the next with no job security. So from this discussion I am learning income in this area may be in the $200 to $450 a month range with the top range being unusual. Staff at my site earn probably between 9,000 to 13,000 pesos a month = around $210 to $300 a month and this is with college degrees. So this helps me understand more why so many things in the stores come in small packages and the necessity of some of their purchases such as powdered milk vs. real milk and processed cheese vs. ‘real’ cheese. Filipinos buy what they need each week – such as a small packet of washing soap, a small packet of crackers, or one roll of toilet paper at a time. When you don’t have a lot of money you can’t stock up the same way Americans do – buying in bulk. I am constantly reminded with these kinds of discussions and learning’s how much we have in the states and how little we really appreciate all our privilege.

I do miss my walks at the Cliffs and the daily chance to take in nature and feel its restorative energy, but I recently found a little place to escape at the center – a rooftop view of Mayon volcano and the surrounding area from above the palm trees. I’ve been going up to get a fresh breeze and a feeling of being connected to nature. Remember I’m in a closed in compound with 9’ walls and guards 24/7 and 35 pairs of eyes watching me all the time – so this little escape allows me a private chance to breathe in the air and relax. “…..I rest in the grace of the world and am free” Wendell Berry



No comments:

Post a Comment