Mayon Volcano, Philippines

Mayon Volcano, Philippines
Mayon Volcano

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Week one at my site

Week one is wrapping up at my site – at this point lots of observing and getting a feel for things. I join the rest of the staff in all their activities and participated in a staff meeting. I’m also ‘working’ from 8 am till 5 pm – with prompt breaks for lunch at noon. The Malinao Treatment & Rehabilitation Center (MTRC) is a residential program and has about 40 male residents. They use a Therapeutic Community (TC) model here. Drugs of choice in the Philippines are alcohol, marijuana and methamphetamine commonly known as "shabu" the drug is considered “the poor man’s cocaine” although apparently prices are going higher. Lots to learn about the program and refreshing on my old days and knowledge from working in a CSB drug treatment program. Started outlining my work plan and project related tasks and goals, but things here go slower and I expect it to be a few more weeks before the project is more clearly defined.

Most interesting has been my visits to the nearest town – Tabaco – which is about 6 miles away. One travels around here via trike a motorcycle with a side car – generally fits 6 people – 3 in the side car and 3 on the motorcycle (sitting side saddle) and the driver – who sits up on the gas tank – UGH. oh yeah the drivers often have no shoes on… YIKES…the ride is about 20 minutes to Tabaco. Town seems to be one main street with a LCC mall which has several floors of goods with the first floor being groceries. Across the street is what they call a wet market – outside venders with all kinds of fruit and vegetables. I bought pineapple for 15 pesos (maybe about 10 cents and a watermelon for 60 pesos – about $1.25. There are no McDonalds in this small town, but the Philippines have something comparable called Jollibee. Food remains a challenge for a vegetarian – and I hope to come up with some more sources of protein, eating a lot of peanut butter sandwiches thus far. They have few dairy products here no milk, really no cheese, I do think I saw some yogurt and they have tofu. I found some kidney beans and they have a local mongo bean – just need to learn how to cook it.

I have been texting with some of the area PC volunteers, one works in Tabaco City and two in Legaspi (about 25 miles away) and of few others I connected with in Manila. Had an offer to go with a group heading up to Daet – a northern island of Bicol for the weekend – but decided it was too soon and the idea of 5-6 hour bus ride isn’t very appealing to me right now. I do look forward though to exploring things around this southern section of the Island of Luzon and to connecting with PCV’s. Next weekend is a 3 or 5K fun run in Tabaco – a fundraiser I believe for the Children’s International program a PCV is working with. So I hope to join them – probably walk, but it will be fun to participate.

As in any experience of truly living and learning a new culture there are challenges – everything is different – so adjustment can be a little bumpy and letting go of some of my American ways is both a challenge and a relief. I am learning to slow down and let go of so many expectations, it’s a wonderful opportunity to practice really being in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment