Mayon Volcano, Philippines

Mayon Volcano, Philippines
Mayon Volcano

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cultural lessons of the week


Riding Jeepneys is an interesting way to get to the office. The local way of getting around and the ultimate Philippine icon – jeeps cannibalized from vehicles left behind by departing Americans at the end of World War II –have evolved to individualized ‘confections’ painted and adorned with decorations and nick names, hung with lights, and displaying cheap speakers blaring loud disco music. A ride to the office is 8 pesos (about 20 cents) – you hop on anywhere after reading the sign in the front window indicating its destination and you get off by tapping on the roof to indicate your stop. The drivers skillfully navigate the maze of traffic in Manila weaving in and out of buses as you bump toward your stop.

Electricity in the Philippines is 220 volts – oh so that is different isn’t it? Plugging my much loved hot pot in for morning tea resulted in one morning of hot water for tea and then a fizzle and pop sound that meant I had burnt out the elements of my electric appliance. Oh yeah, just because the plug and socket matches doesn’t mean you can use it safely. So now I have learned many US appliances need an adapter that helps to regulate the voltage and the hunt is on for a new hot pot. Thank goodness apparently newer laptops have a mechanism for adjusting voltage themselves.

Comfort rooms – or Where is the CR is the Philippine equivalent of US rest rooms come with a few differences, one somewhat familiar – bring your own toilet paper, throw it in the basket – but the new thing is a plastic pot that women use to clean themselves. I am still awaiting a lesson on how one does this – I can only envision trying to throw the water up towards ones private parts making a mess of oneself and the bathroom. My language teacher promised to show me how to navigate this local custom.

Eating is an art form here and five meals a day is common with two of them called merienda – snacks. So mid morning and mid afternoon we are off for our merienda. Thus far it seems everything contains some kind of meat, pork, fish or chicken –tough being a vegetarian here. And coffee is commonly found as instant – I was initially asked if I wanted some 3 in 1 - some what? It’s instant coffee in small packet which already contains the milk and sugar. They do have Starbucks and my favorite Dunkin Donuts in Manila so there is hope.

Taking showers two and three times a day is common including changing one’s clothes to go out after each. Well with all the heat and humidity and city smog seems to make some sense to me. Personal hygiene is very important to Filipinos. Americans are seen as kind of dirty in this way – and not shaving underarms is definitely a yuk!

Suggestions for my first weeks or month at my site strongly recommend avoid pushing the tasks and deadlines of the project = western work mentality and obsession with getting things done doesn’t work here. Instead say yes to every invitation to an event or a fiesta. The best way to get things done is to first build the trust and relationships. This may entail singing, dancing and just plain making a fool of myself –but this will certainly endear me to my hosts by demonstrating my good nature and willingness to make a fool of myself. Oh this the introvert is going to love huh?

New fun words I am learning in tagalong
Wala (wah-lah) – None/not.
Sige (si-gay) – Okay (although it means a number of other things depending on the context)
Hindi – No (although it is used only in certain context)
OO -yes ( but it sounds like you did something wrong – ut-oh)
Nalilito ako – I’m confused (most of the time)
Nagkakasakit ako – as in me eating meat makes me sick – I’m hoping to use this to explain my being a vegetarian

May tokwa ba kayo? Do you have any tofu


Many cultural lessons ahead I am sure – it’s great fun to learn and be open to a new culture and to have the chance to reflect on what being an American means in another country ….

No comments:

Post a Comment