Mayon Volcano, Philippines

Mayon Volcano, Philippines
Mayon Volcano

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Settling into Manila & Peace Corps orientation

Monday morning started orientation – and it was a full day – meeting people at the PC office, finding out who does what, getting a sense of the space which includes a nice volunteer office with computers a library, private spaces to Skype and the first of 5 medical training sessions, a trip to the Philippines National volunteer center for an overview and signing some more papers. Orientation is a little slow and basic – and though I understand they spent considerable time developing the plan for the 2 weeks – there are things days away that I would have really liked to know earlier and logistical stuff that seems to be coming in a slow stream vs. having a chance to really get my questions answered right up front. I am sure though in the end I’ll be glad to have the background and will have had the time and luxury to focus on learning the ropes before I have to get to ‘work’. The orientation days are a mix of sessions on safety and security, medical issues and general logistical stuff for functioning in the bureaucracy of PC. Started Tagalog language sessions yesterday – kind of fun – but of course I worry I will not remember any of it and am as most folks learning a language self –conscious about saying it wrong. Manila itself is a kind of strange mix – at first it is intimidating, noisy, smog filled, and unkempt with appalling traffic. One sees the juxtaposition of high rise buildings, fancy hotels and mansions across from shantytowns built along railroad tracks. You see poor people likely from the provinces squatting probably illegally on some spare scrap of land amidst a clear fight for space intensified by the city’s apparent insatiable appetite for shopping malls – they are everywhere including a gigantic Mall of Asia bigger than many we have in the states. The nightlife and ‘red light’ district a few blocks away reveals a bustling economy of sex, drugs and rock and roll. Apparently a favorite hotel is the SOGO – so good, so clean – which has a thriving hourly business. The weather thus far has been cloudy and mostly bearable. We’ve had nights with wonderful breezes, probably the remnants of the recent typhoon that traveled through – one of many expected for this wet season. I haven’t seen much sun yet, although days don’t always have rain – just a mix of clouds and smog. So though I’ve had glimpses of the humidity – it’s much better than I expected and was prepared for so far. I’m kind of eager to get to my site – I really am curious about what it will be like and how different from Manila it will be. Seems it will be much more rural – which I will like and yet I’ll have a couple of towns – one about 3 miles away and the other maybe 20 miles away. Word is I’ll be able to take buses or van type transportation to get to them and I am on the coast – so the Philippine Sea and oceans should be visible from nearby. I leave Manila on Friday June 29 – a short flight to Legaspi and the program director will pick me up and we drive to Malinao. I’ll probably spend that day with her just getting some orientation and then hopefully I’ll have the weekend to get myself settled in to my room and to find my way around – go to the grocery store there etc. It all feels quite unreal still at this point and the reality of 6 months is mostly illusive. I remain excited, curious and optimistic. I’m sure they’ll be some bumps and challenges ahead but for now just taking it a day at a time and enjoying taking in all the newness and the absorbing that I am actually living one of my dreams – pretty cool.

1 comment:

  1. Learning a new language at a "mature" age can be quite challenging. I took Spanish classes a couple of years ago. It seemed I could pick up languages much faster when I was younger. As absent-minded as I am, I have trouble remembering English words for things, nevertheless trying to remember the words for things in another language. Your good naturedness and authenticity will likely facilitate great working relationships with the community. Thanks for directing us to this blog as a way to keep up with you.

    Liz Cramer

    ReplyDelete